The Department was established in the year 2010 with the efforts of Prof. R. P. Hooda, then Vice-Chancellor, led by Prof. Prem Singh as its founder Head. Its establishment filled the gap in producing the manpower in the region. The Department has played an important role in promoting library science education during the past 10 years of its existence. During this short span, PhD course was introduced by the Department. In order to keep pace with the changing and complex needs of the libraries and documentation centers in the country, the Department took concrete steps in introducing many new areas of studies in information science and management such as 'e-Resource Management', 'Digital Library', 'Web Designing', Museology', ‘Academic Integrity and Plagiarism’ etc. in its curriculum. The Department is adequately equipped with good ICTs infrastructure which enhances the teaching-learning activities. The alumni of the Department are well placed with lucrative jobs not only in Haryana but also in other parts of the country. The faculty consists of teachers who are well known in the profession from five different regions.
The strength of the Department is based both on the programme and heterogeneity under the CBCS-based curricula. Though not exhaustive, the sturdy list is as follows:
- Priority is given to curricula based on CBCS which allows to include more number of papers;
- Job priority is strengthened by introducing different market driven courses/papers;
- State-of-the-art courses are in the elective list e.g., book publishing, scientometrics, academic library system and technical writing and communication skill, e-learning, preservation and conservation and museology.
- A course ‘academic integrity and plagiarism’ is introduced to all the university students as open elective.
- The specializations of the faculty of the department in terms of study, teaching and research are exemplary
- Well equipped state-of-the-art classrooms
- Ultra-modern Computer Lab
- Computer savvy faculty